Drives and Controls Magazine
WEG’s Algerian JV plant will make up to 1m motors a year
Published:  02 March, 2023

WEG, the Brazilian-headquartered motors and drives manufacturer, has established a new company and production facility in Algeria, North Africa, with the capacity to produce one million motors per year. WEG Algeria Motors is a 51:49 joint venture between WEG and the Cevital Group, one of Algeria’s largest private industrial conglomerates, which operates in a variety of sectors including agriculture, retail, services and industry.

Located in Sétif province in north-eastern Algeria, the company will create more than 100 jobs, focussing on local production, while also creating a network of sub-contractors.

The initial focus will be on the Algerian and North African markets, with an estimated 60% of sales from the new facility expected to be local. This will include the production and sale of electric motors for use in washing machines. The remaining 40% will be exported, with motors built to international standards for the electrical engineering, power and automation sectors.

The creation of the Algerian business is part of WEG’s internationalisation strategy, under which it is investing in dynamic regions of the world with a high potential for industrial development. The project has been spurred on by an Algerian presidential decree in 2020 that encourages the increased use of local content, and a law last year encouraging industrial investment.

The ribbon-cutting ceremony for WEG’s new Algerian joint venture business

“Algeria is a country of great opportunities,” says Daniel Marteleto Godinho, WEG’s director of institutional relations. “Through the production and sale of electric motors, WEG will help develop Algeria’s industrial production capacity with higher value-added products, while promoting competitiveness and improving the business environment.”

WEG:  Twitter  LinkedIn