Drives and Controls Magazine
Voith buys Austrian electric motor manufacturer, Elin
Published:  06 May, 2020

The global technology company Voith has taken control of the Austrian motor and generator manufacturer Elin Motoren, by acquiring a 70% stake in the company for an undisclosed sum. Elin will remain an independent business and will continue to use the Elin brand. The remaining 30% of the business is being held by Franz Hrachowitz.

Elin, whose history dates back to 1892, has around 1,000 employees and generates a turnover of about €120m. The company manufactures low-, medium- and high-voltage electric motors and generators in small series, as well as customised systems for industrial applications. Its target markets include wind energy, plastics, mining, oil and gas, and power plants.

“The acquisition of Elin Motoren is an important strategic step for Voith,” says Voith Turbo’s president and CEO, Dr Uwe Knotzer. “The portfolio of the company is an outstanding addition to our industrial drive solutions and supports our position as a technology-independent supplier of drive systems. With Elin Motoren, we are able to offer our customers a significant advantage in terms of drivetrain electrification.”

“Voith is pursuing a digitalisation strategy for industrial applications, as is Elin Motoren,” adds Elin’s CEO, Wolfgang Landler. “The future cooperation between the two companies will allow us to offer significant added value. Together we can develop system solutions and especially technologies in digitalisation.”

Elin is best-known for its large motors and generators

Family-owned Voith, founded in 1867, has more than 19,000 employees, sales of €4.3bn and locations in more than 60 countries.